The choice of the braces is determined by the doctor’s recommendation and the patient’s consent. Reporting from one of the medicalnewstoday articles, in the United States the use of braces usually starts at the age of 12 or 13 years. But older people can also use it.
It’s just that, in adults it takes longer than adolescent stirrup users. Generally, someone can feel the benefits of braces after using them from 18 to 22 months, depending on the severity of the dental malocclusion.
Not only have to wait patiently for the results, braces users must also know about the risks that may occur while wearing these braces. What are the risks? Resource Good Doctor
Before experiencing the benefits of braces, you need to know the risks
Even though it is relatively safe, there are still some risks that may occur when you use braces. Risks are divided into two, namely the short term and the long term. The choice of the braces is determined by the doctor’s recommendation and the patient’s consent.
Short term risk
Braces create small spaces around the teeth that can trap food debris and increase plaque deposits. You must be diligent in cleaning your teeth, otherwise, you may experience:
- Loss of minerals on the outer enamel surface of the teeth, which causes stains to appear on the teeth.
- Tooth decay, including cavities and gum disease.
Long term risk
The use of braces or braces can also cause long-term risks such as:
- The movement of the teeth when using the stirrup can cause the teeth to become less stable. But in general, this does not cause crucial problems.
- Failure to correct tooth shape. If you do not follow the doctor’s instructions, it could be that the location of the teeth does not show maximum results. Especially if the patient is reluctant to take care after removing the wire.
- The doctor will provide a retainer or a device that keeps the shape of the teeth, to use after removing the stirrup. Lazy to use the retainer to cause the tooth to fall apart again
don’t forget to read another blog “Don’t Just Use Braces, You Must Know the 5 Benefits of Braces Below“